Director of Development
The Director of Development oversees the Tivoli Theatre Foundation’s fundraising efforts. Scope includes donor cultivation, grants, sponsorships, major gifts, planned giving, annual campaigns, capital campaign , and evaluation data. The director also strengthens the culture of philanthropy within the Foundation and helps each department understand its role in fundraising.
The role reports to the Executive Director and manages a team of fundraising professionals. Working closely with the Executive Director, board of directors, and development committee, the director identifies fundraising strategies for the organization. The director is responsible for operationalizing these strategies by crafting a comprehensive plan each fiscal year to meet or exceed contributed revenue goals. The person in this role also works across departments to help craft key messages and compelling stories that show the Foundation’s value and to identify and pursue funding opportunities.
Principal duties and responsibilities
Development Strategies & Fundraising
• Develop and implement overall fundraising strategies.
• Oversee direct reports’ plans for donor cultivation, major gifts, sponsorships, and grants.
• Serve as lead staff person for the board’s development committee and as primary contact for board members for development; prepare and make Board presentations.
• Ensure contributed revenue increases to enable the Foundation to achieve its vision, including, but not limited to, identifying new funding opportunities, expanding our donor base, finding operational efficiencies, and collaborating with other departments.
• Manage own portfolio of donors.
• Connect with donors and prospective donors in the lounges during show nights.
• Create a portfolio of donors for the Executive Director.
• As needed, lead campaign efforts, meeting, or exceeding goals. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, driving strategies, meeting with prospects, and sharing progress.
• Oversee the annual budgeting and monthly forecasting processes for the development team.
• Maintain and improve operational and measurement systems that increase organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
• As needed, work with the development team, finance, and IT to create meaningful and actionable reports and ensure database integrity.
• Partner with the chief operating officer and other senior leadership on board reports and memos.
• Oversee the day-to-day activities of the development function.
Leadership, People Management and Development
• Manage, coach, and align the development team with the goals of the Foundation.
• Commit to cultivating a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Encourage high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, collaboration, and a commitment to excellence in the fundraising effort.
• Model the Foundation's values, ethics, and performance standards for the team.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience with a minimum of 7 years of experience.
• Expertise in effective donor cultivation.
• Proven track record of cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors giving $10,000+.
• Familiarity with sponsorships, grants, planned giving, and endowments.
• Successful track record leading and developing a team of fundraisers.
• Ability to establish an inclusive, productive, and collaborative work environment.
• Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse groups of people.
• Results-oriented, driven to accomplish financial goals.
• Possesses high level of business acumen.
• Excellent problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to operate as a strategic thinker; anticipates future needs and shows excellent judgement in a changing environment; flexible and resilient.
• Detail oriented, with keen analytical skills.
• High level of integrity and able to keep confidential information private and secure.
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Familiarity with Raiser's Edge.
• Proficient in MS-Office and Google Docs.
Physical and Schedule Requirements
• Requires some evening and weekend hours.
• May require some travel.
How to apply
• Interested parties should apply by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com